Friday, June 14, 2013

Spaghetti & Meatballs

Happy Friday Everyone! Thanks for visiting the Chefs Corner!

I thought for my first official blog post I would write a little bit about my background and share a recipe to one of my favorite dishes growing up as a kid...... Spaghetti & Meatballs! 

I grew up in the small town of Massena in Northern New York, just south of the Canadian boarder. My parents owned a local Mom and Pop grocery store. My mom also had a small cake baking business on the side, so I was introduced into the culinary world at a very young age. My mother has truly been my inspiration for becoming a chef. I learned a lot of what I know today from her.
My Mom, Jackie Chatterton


Looking back to my early years, I can remember going to my grandparent's house on my father's side every Sunday, and seeing my grandmother's fresh, homemade pasta drying on racks in their basement. Her house always smelled like pasta dough and tomato sauce. To this day, I still become overwhelmed with a sense of nostalgia whenever I smell freshly made pasta! She would prepare a different Italian dish every Sunday, but my favorite of all of her amazing, authentic Italian recipes, was her Spaghetti & Meatballs!

It is still one of my favorite meals, right up there with NY style pizza and a good bone in ribeye! If I had to choose my last meal on earth, it would be Grandma Chatterton's Spaghetti & Meatballs. I know what you're thinking.... "Really.... Spaghetti & Meatballs???"  As a chef I am always experimenting with different recipes, playing with lots of ingredients, different cuts of meat, fish, vegetables, etc… but Spaghetti & Meatballs will forever hold a special place in my heart!

So, without further ado, here's a little sneak peak into how I prepare Spaghetti & Meatballs at home for my family!

Chef Scott's Recipe:

Sauce 

  • 2 cans Italian Peeled Tomatoes (San Marzano)
  • 1 Tablespoon EVOO
  • 1 Small Onion (small diced)
  • 8 Cloves Garlic (minced)
  • 2 Tablespoons of Oregano
  • 1 Tablespoon of Basil
  • ¼ cup White Wine
  • Pinch of Sugar
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent but not brown, stir in wine and let reduce until it is reduced by half.  Puree tomatoes then add to pan with oregano and basil.  Simmer for about 30 minutes then add sugar, salt, and pepper.

Meatballs

  • 2 Pounds Ground Chuck (80/20)
  • 3 Cloves Garlic (minced)
  • 1 Tablespoon Oregano
  • 1 Tablespoon Parsley
  • 2 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Pepper
  • ¼ Milk
  • ½ Breadcrumbs (Panko)
  • 2 Large Eggs

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix thoroughly and form into balls.  Gently drop in sauce and cook for about 20 minutes (depending on size). I prefer to do this one day in advance so the meatballs can cool in the sauce absorb flavor from the sauce.

I use 2 lb of spaghetti noodles (DeCecco is my favorite brand) which yields roughly 6 portions. (My recipe for homemade pasta is a Chatterton Family secret, sorry I can't let that one out of the vault!)

Cheers! Now let's eat, drink, and.... eat some more! 


No comments:

Post a Comment